Nobody likes being hassled on social media. That’s where learning how to mute people on social media, rather than block them, is a great way to keep your social feeds a pleasant place to be – without flagging to the offending user that they’ve annoyed you.
Here’s how you can mute someone on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and more.
How to mute someone on Instagram
Instagram has introduced a Mute button to quieten profiles, posts and stories. Although not everyone has access to this feed-based mute option yet – Instagram is still rolling it out across iOS and Android – it’ll soon be available to all users, so you might as well learn how to make use of it.
How to mute Instagram posts
- On every post, you’ll see the ellipsis (…) button, tap it
- You’re now presented with various options including Report, Embed and Mute
- Tap Mute
- Select either Mute Posts or “Mute Posts and Story”. This option is also available via user profiles, again by pressing the ellipsis button
How to mute Instagram Stories
- To mute Instagram’s user-generated Stories, long-press the person’s profile picture
- This brings up the option to mute the user and all those stories you never wanted to see in the first place
Like Facebook, it’s also technically possible to avoid seeing someone in your feed simply by not interacting with them: no likes, no comments and no shares. Instagram’s algorithm will eventually sit up and take notice.
How to mute someone on Facebook
Is your Facebook news feed is packed with over-sharers, game invitations and angry rants? Thankfully there are multiple ways to silence these nuisances, and it’s really quite easy to boot.
- Visit a profile or page and click Following (on Facebook’s website) or tap More (in the Facebook app)
- Select “Unfollow”.
- You can also unfollow users in your news feed by clicking the three-dot menu on a post and choosing “Hide post”, “Snooze for 30 days” or “Unfollow”.
How to bulk unfollow people and pages from your feed
To bulk-manage your feed, locate the down arrow on the blue banner or tap the three-line menu on mobile.
- On mobile, scroll to Settings & Privacy and then select Settings
- On both web and mobile, select “News Feed Preferences”
- Now select “Unfollow people to hide their posts”
- Scroll down and tap on the people and accounts you’d like to remove from your news feed
How to block photo albums from your feed
You can also block albums from coming into your feed, be they baby photos, holiday snaps or wedding-season selfies.
- Click the offending photo album’s three-dot menu
- Choose “Unfollow album”
How to find out if you’ve been blocked on Facebook
If you think someone’s blocked you on facebook there are three ways to find out for sure.
- Run a search for the user while logged in – if they don’t appear in the search results, log out and search again. If they magically appear, it means you’ve been blocked.
- Locate a comment or message from the user. Anyone who has blocked you, or otherwise made their profile inaccessible, will appear in bold black and you won’t be able to click their name.
- Remember that Facebook lets users block people on both Messenger and Facebook separately, so fire off a message. If a pop-up warns that you can’t reply or the user is unavailable, it’s likely that you’ve been blocked on Facebook’s messaging platform, too.
How to mute someone on Facebook Messenger
As with its social network, Facebook makes it similarly easy to hush annoying people on Messenger.
Mute Messenger chats on desktop
- Open a message from your garrulous friend
- Click the cog icon
- Pick whether to “Ignore messages” or “Mute Conversation”
Mute Messenger chats on mobile
- Tap the “i” information button in a conversation
- Click “Ignore Messages”, which moves all messages to the Message Requests inbox Alternatively, can also click Notifications | Mute Conversation
- Finally, determine how long your contact is muted for – from 15 minutes to forever
How to mute someone on Twitter
There are two methods for eradicating bothersome Twitter users from your timeline. One method involves visiting their profile and wholesale blocking them, the other is accessible from any one of their tweets and lets you remove certain types of content instead – perfect for blocking annoying branded messages.
How to mute accounts on Twitter
- Visit the user’s profile page and click the three-dot menu button next to their name
- This reveals options including Mute
- Click Mute and confirm the action
How to mute a Tweet
- On an individual tweet, click the arrow on the top right of the tweet
- This lets you select ‘Mute @username’ and another option: ‘I don’t like this Tweet’
- Selecting this acts as a ‘dislike’ button, instructing Twitter’s algorithms to block similar posts in future
How to see muted Twitter accounts
- To see all the accounts you’ve silenced, visit ‘Settings and privacy’, then click ‘Privacy and safety’
- Scroll to the Safety section and select ‘Muted accounts’
- Here you can also Unmute people via their profile
READ NEXT: How to deactivate Twitter
How to mute certain words, phrases and hashtags
If you want to ban certain words from your timeline visit “Settings and privacy” – or, on mobile, go to your Notifications tab and tap the cog icon – and click “Muted words”. Now add the words you never want to see again.
How to mute someone on WhatsApp
Fed up with rowdy WhatsApp group chats and private messages pinging at all hours of the day? There’s a way to silence them, you can thank us later.
- To silence them, scroll to any message or group chat, then press and hold the message
- Once selected, you’ll see a blocked-out speaker at the top of the screen. Click the speaker
- Now you have options to mute notifications for eight hours, one week or one year
- Make your choice, then tap OK
You can also mute notifications from within a message, just click the three-dot menu at the top of the screen and select ‘Mute notifications’.
How to mute someone on Snapchat
Snapchat’s version of mute is called “Do Not Disturb”, which blocks notifications from any user or group chat you choose to silence.
How to mute from Snapchat timeline
- Tap into your feed, then press and hold your friend’s Bitmoji or profile picture
- When the pop-up box appears, click Settings
- Then click Do Not Disturb. The option will change to “Turn on Notifications” to signify you’ve been successful
How to mute from a Snapchat message
- Click on your friend’s messages and press the three-line menu button
- Now toggle the Do Not Disturb switch to On
How to mute Snapchat stories from your feed
- Click on your friend’s messages and press the three-line menu button
- Select Mute Story
How to prevent specific users seeing your Snapchat stories
- Click the cog icon on your profile page and scroll to the section titled “Who Can”
- Then click “View My Story”
- Choose Custom and decide who can see your Snapchat Stories
How to block someone on YouTube
The YouTube community has a poor reputation. Thankfully, the Toggle YouTube Comments extension for Chrome shields you from the inane and often offensive babble that defines the comments section of almost every video.
This very welcome add-on automatically hides all comments on YouTube videos, replacing them with the option to Show Comments. Best of all, it doesn’t track you and seamlessly fits in with the YouTube design.
How to mute people on Quora
Quora – the internet’s Q&A section – is a fount of knowledge. But if you’re sick of hearing from know-it-all loudmouthed users, muting them is easy.
- Click the person’s name by their picture
- Once on their profile, pressing the ellipsis (…) button lets you choose to Mute, Block or Report that user
- Select the appropriate option and voila, gone
You can also remove stories from your topic feed by clicking the “X” in the right-hand corner of the Q&A box. Doing so hides the story and offers greater control over what you see, letting you unfollow question-askers and answer-givers, as well as showing fewer related links.